FOOD RELATED LISTINGS
- NELSON'S WEE BAKE (Mennonite), downtown Denmark, open Thur-Fri-Sat only. 803-793-4664.
- SMITH'S ICE CREAM BAR AND BAKERY, Old Number Six Highway at Interstate 95, Santee.
- Many larger supermarkets in the area have bakeries.
- MAC B MEATS, 190 Fox Run Road (843) 563-9333. Postal address is St. George 29477 but it's off US 15, just north of the Grover community. From Branchville, take Wire Road to Grover, turn left. Open Thur., Fri., Sat. 8-6.
- For "old fashioned" candies and candy bars you thought they stopped making decades ago, visit EHRHARDT PHARMACY in Ehrhardt; CRACKER BARREL, north of Orangeburg, off U.S. 601 near Interstate 26; STUCKEY'S, off Interstate 95 at Exit 108 (Summerton), 10 miles north of Santee; or MAST GENERAL STORE on Main Street in downtown Columbia.
- SALLEY'S FINE CHOCOLATE, 1344 Oakman Branch Road, Walterboro, (843) 538-5999. Branchville Pharmacy sells their chocolate almond bars.
- BRANCHVILLE FARMERS MARKET, US 21/78 at railroad tracks,Branchville, Saturdays (seasonal)Details: Town Hall, (803) 274-8820.
- Downtown Orangeburg on the Square, Russell and Middleton streets, Tuesdays (seasonal). (803) 531-6186.
- Family Health Centers, 3310 Magnolia St. (US 601 North), Orangeburg, Fridays (seasonal). (803) 531-6900.
- FIVE RIVERS FARMERS & GOURMET FOOD MARKET, 950 Chestnut St., Orangeburg. Fruits, vegetables, meats, poultry, seafood, dry goods, spices, sauces, jams, jellies, coffee, tea, etc. Many food items produced in South Carolina. Tue.-Sat. 10-6 year-round. (803) 937-1101.
- St. George, Jim Bilton Boulevard (seasonal).
- Walterboro (one block from IGA supermarket). Commercial kitchen open year-round.
- State Farmers Market, off US 21 south of the interstates, West Columbia. (Year-round)
- DOLLAR GENERAL, 7655 Freedom Road, Branchville has a wide range of products.
- IGA, US 178, Bowman (this is the nearest supermarket to Branchville), also Ehrhardt, Holly Hill, Santee, Walterboro.
- ALDI, North Road, Orangeburg. (No credit cards. Debit cards OK. Bring your own bags or boxes.)
- BI-LO, Orangeburg (2), St. George, Bamberg, Walterboro.
- DOLLAR GENERAL MARKET, US 176, Holly Hill.
- EARTH FARE, Charleston (West Ashley); Columbia; and US 17-A, Summerville.
- FOODLAND, Walterboro.
- HARRIS TEETER, Summerville, downtown Charleston, Columbia metro area.
- KMART, Chestnut Street, Orangeburg.
- KROGER, Lexington/Columbia area.
- F.L. METTS GROCERY, 785 Bleakley Ave., Orangeburg.
- ORANGEBURG CASH & CARRY, US 301 North, Orangeburg. Wholesale to the public.
- PIGGLY WIGGLY, newly remodeled on Columbia Road, Orangeburg; also US 301-601 South, Orangeburg; also in Holly Hill, Neeses, and Denmark.
- PUBLIX, Columbia/Lexington area, Summerville/Charleston area.
- SAVE A LOT, Chestnut Square Shopping Center, Orangeburg, and near Belk in Walterboro.
- SHUMAN FOODS, 121 Shuman Drive, Reevesville address but just across railroad tracks from US 78 just west of Interstate 95. Wholesale to the public. (843) 563-4327.
- WALMART NEIGHBORHOOD MARKET, off US 301-601 South, Orangeburg.
- WALMART SUPERSTORE, North Road, Orangeburg (closes at 12 midnight); Bells Hwy. (SC 64) at I-95 near Walterboro (open 24 hours).
- WALTERBORO CASH & CARRY, South Jefferies, Walterboro. Wholesale to the public.
- WAREHOUSE STORES (Sam's Club, Costco), in the Columbia and Charleston metro areas.
- WHOLE FOODS, Mt. Pleasant (Charleston area).
- Mexican/Hispanic grocery stores in Orangeburg, Summerville (several), Walterboro (at least one), Ehrhardt.
- GOD'S ACRE HEALING SPRINGS, north of Blackville. Its healing powers have been the stuff of legend since the Revolutionary War. Bring your own containers and tote home all the fresh spring water you want. Free.
Health foods, vitamins, supplements
- DONNA'S NUTRITION CENTER, "old" Orangeburg Mall
- GENERAL NUTRITION CENTER, "new" Prince of Orange Mall, Orangeburg -- also in Walterboro
Ice cream and soda fountains
- THE CHURN, 7609 Freedom Road,Branchville, has an extensive list of ice cream flavors and frozen desserts.
- E-Z SHOP #20, 7604 Freedom Road,Branchville, sells ice cream cups and cones and Dippin' Dots.
- ADRIAN'S, Prince of Orange Mall.
- EDISTO RIVER CREAMERY, at the entrance to Edisto Memorial Gardens in Orangeburg. Ice cream and sandwiches.
- EHRHARDT PHARMACY, 12930 Broxton Bridge Road, Ehrhardt, (803) 267-2121. Open 8-6 daily except Sunday. Old-fashioned soda fountain.
- HIOTT'S PHARMACY, downtown Walterboro at the end of Washington Street. Old-fashioned soda fountain.
- SMITH'S ICE CREAM BAR & BAKERY, Old Number Six Highway at Interstate 95, Santee. 48 flavors of ice cream.
- SWEET FROG, Grove Park Shopping Center, Orangeburg. Frozen yogurt in a variety of flavors and kinds, including sugar-free and lactose-free, with all the toppings you care to add. Sold by weight.
Major chains in Orangeburg
The following major restaurant chains have stores in or near the City of Orangeburg (if more than one, the number is in parentheses) and in other places as noted.
- BRANCHVILLE FOOD MART, 210 Dorange Road, Branchville. HUNT BROTHERS PIZZA -- as many different toppings as you want at no extra charge -- and KRISPY KRUNCHY FRIED CHICKEN with a spicy Cajun kick. Carry-out. (803) 274-4252.
- CHINA TOWN, 7629 Freedom Road, Branchville. Extensive menu of Asian favorites, cooked to order, 7 days a week. Daily lunch specials. Open late. Eat in or take out. (803) 274-8722.
- EATERY AT THE DEPOT, 7500 Freedom Road, Branchville. Steaks, seafood, pork, chicken, salads, and desserts are served in the historic railroad depot restaurant where several U.S. presidents have dined. Children's menu. Open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings. Reservations recommended. (803) 274-8001.
- IRIS & RICHARD'S RESTAURANT, Edward Street (US 78 West) at Hudson Road, Branchville. Open 5 pm to 9 pm daily except Sunday. Steak, seafood, sandwiches, salads in a casual atmosphere. Call ahead for carry-out.
- MAIN STREET BAR-B-QUE, 7639 Freedom Road, Branchville. Saturday dinner and Sunday lunch, first and third full weekends of the month. Steak, seafood and chicken dinners are cooked to order. Most diners choose the buffet. Carry-out available. (803) 274-4131.
- SUBWAY, 7604 Freedom Road, Branchville, inside E-Z Shop #20. Sub sandwiches, pizza, soups and salads. Open all day, from an early breakfast to a late-night snack. Ice cream counter too. (803) 274-4248.
- THE CHURN, 7609 Freedom Road, Branchville. Extensive short-order menu of burgers, sandwiches, and sides. Many flavors of ice cream can be chosen for an assortment of desserts. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Open 7 days a week. (803) 274-8690.
All of the above are in the Walterboro area, too, except for Applebee's, Blimpie, Chick-fil-A, Churchs, Cook-Out, IHOP, Papa John's and Ryan's.
Other major chains
- APPLEBEE'S (Chestnut St.)
- ARBY'S (US 301-601 South)
- BLIMPIE (North Road)
- BURGER KING (4)
- CAPTAIN D'S (seafood) (Broughton St. near John C. Calhoun Drive)
- CHESTER'S CHICKEN (US 301 at I-26)
- CHICK-FIL-A (US 601 near I-26)
- CHURCHS CHICKEN (Chestnut St.)
- COOK-OUT (John C. Calhoun Dr.)
- CRACKER BARREL (near US 601 and I-26) -- Also Santee (near I-95)
- DOMINO'S PIZZA (Magnolia St.)
- HARDEE'S (3) -- (24-hour drive-thru at Calhoun & Broughton) -- Also Bamberg, St. George, Holly Hill
- IHOP (North Road) (open 24 hours)
- LITTLE CAESAR'S PIZZA (Chestnut)
- McDONALD'S (3) (Two open 24 hours) -- Also St. George, Santee, I-26 northwest of Bowman
- PAPA JOHN'S PIZZA (Chestnut St.)
- PIZZA HUT (2) -- Also Bamberg, St. George
- POPEYES LOUISIANA CHICKEN (Chestnut St.)
- RUBY TUESDAY (US 601 near I-26)
- RYAN'S BUFFET AND BAKERY (North Road)
- SHONEY'S (Chestnut St.) -- Also Santee
- SONIC (North Road) (24-hour drive-thru)
- SUBWAY -- Numerous locations.
- TACO BELL (John C. Calhoun Dr.) -- Also St. George
- WAFFLE HOUSE (US 601 near I-26) -- Also in Santee, St. George, I-26 at US 301. (All open 24 hours)
- WENDY'S (2) -- Also Santee and US 178/I-95 east of Bowman.
- ZAXBY'S CHICKEN (2)
Amish / Mennonite
- BUCK'S PIZZA -- Walterboro.
- DENNY'S -- St. George.
- DUNKIN' DONUTS -- Walterboro.
- KFC -- St. George and Walterboro.
- There is no local STARBUCKS café but many area convenience stores sell a variety of their products. Ditto with KRISPY KREME.
- MILLER'S BREAD BASKET, 483 Main St., Blackville. Cafeteria lunch, buffet dinner. Freshly baked loaves of bread to go. Gift shop has antiques, books, etc. Hours vary; call (803) 284-3117.
- Just about every crossroads in South Carolina has a barbecue place. There are at least 5 in Orangeburg. Call ahead to inquire about hours; most are open Thursday through Saturday. Some have a basic menu: barbecue (chopped pork), rice and hash (meat sauce), coleslaw, hush puppies, and tea. Other places have many more items, such as chicken, vegetables, ribs, salad, and desserts. Almost all are buffet-style but offer take-out too. Many use the name "Dukes" but no two are exactly alike.
- COWBOY BRAZILIAN STEAKHOUSE, off Mall Drive, North Charleston, and on Main Street, downtown Columbia.
- RIOZ BRAZILIAN STEAKHOUSE (or Churrascaria), 410 Columbiana Dr., Columbia, (803) 708-3151.
Caribbean / soul food
- JOY, Broughton St., Orangeburg
TOUCH OF SPICE, 1570 Wingate St., Orangeburg, (803) 536-0176
- At least a half-dozen in Orangeburg. Two of them are all-you-can-eat: CHINA BUFFET on John C. Calhoun Drive and HONG KONG BUFFET near the Piggly Wiggly at Chestnut Street and Columbia Road.
- Others in Bamberg, Bowman, Holly Hill, St. George, Walterboro, Santee. Their menus are pretty much alike. CHINA DRAGON, Jefferies Boulevard, Walterboro, has unusual selections.
Greek / Italian
- GEORGIO'S, US 78 east of I-95, St. George. (Pizza buffet at lunchtime.)
- GEORGIO'S, US 176, Holly Hill
- ORIGINAL HOUSE OF PIZZA, US 78, downtown Bamberg.
- ORIGINAL HOUSE OF PIZZA, John C. Calhoun Drive (US 301), Orangeburg.
- ORIGINAL HOUSE OF PIZZA, near Orangeburg Mall.
- CARMINE'S TRATTORIA, Washington Street, downtown Walterboro. (Italian chef, Italian dishes and New York style pizza)
- At least 3 in the Charleston area. One on Savannah Highway, West Ashley. Another on Rivers Avenue, North Charleston
- At least 3 in the Columbia area
REILLY'S IRISH PUB, 1510 Wingate St., Orangeburg, (803) 533-1878
- THE CELTIC KNOT, 208 E. 5th North St. (US 78 one block east of US 17-A), Summerville 29483
- MADRA RUA, 2066 N. Main St, Summerville 29483 (north of I-26)
- There are more in Charleston, including Gilroy's Irish Pizza Pub on King Street in downtown Charleston.
- MR. HIBACHI, Chestnut Street at Ellis Avenue, Orangeburg.
- TOKYO STEAK & SEAFOOD, Grove Park Shopping Center, Orangeburg. Chef cooks your meal at your table.
- WASABI, 2565 North Road, near IHOP, Orangeburg. Their specialty is sushi rolls. (803) 539-3600.
- FUJI EXPRESS, Jefferies Boulevard, downtown Walterboro
- At least 8 in the Columbia area, including at least 6 on Decker Boulevard, off Interstate 77
- At least 3 in the Charleston area
- EL JAROCHO, 1223 John C. Calhoun Dr., Orangeburg
- ROSALIA'S, 1058 Russell St., downtown Orangeburg
- SAN JOSE, 1034 Chestnut St., Orangeburg
- EL TORO, 885 Chestnut St., Orangeburg
- BIDDIE BANQUET, 220 John C. Calhoun Drive, Orangeburg, (803) 534-0488. Breakfast and short orders.
- BLACK RIVER CHOP HOUSE & TAVERN, 1145 Orangeburg Mall Circle (Boulevard Street side), former site of Four Moons. Upscale dining. (803) 747-7021.
- BROWN DERBY, 1397 Belleville Road, Orangeburg, (803) 539-2722. Homestyle cooking and barbecue.
- CHESTNUT GRILL, 1455 Chestnut Street, Orangeburg. Daily specials, extensive menu. (803) 531-1747.
- KUCKERY, Cannon Bridge Road, Orangeburg. Breakfast menu, buffet lunch daily and certain evenings.
- SHUGS, US 78, St. George. Fine Lowcountry fare without the time and expense of traveling to Charleston.
- SOUTHLAND, 1270 John C. Calhoun Drive. Orangeburg's oldest restaurant has stood the test of time. Early breakfast through late lunch.
- THELMA'S, downtown on Russell Street, is Orangeburg's newest place to eat. Lunch and dinner.
- SKYNYRD'S GRILL & SPORTS BAR, US 78, St. George.
- THAI ORCHID, next to Orangeburg Mall, St. Matthews Road, Orangeburg.
- THAI HOUSE #2, 9054 Old Number Six Highway, Santee
- AMPORN'S, Cleveland Street, downtown Elloree.
- At least 5 in the Charleston area
- At least 4 in the Columbia area